Weight Loss Tracker

Friday, December 26, 2008

I don't know why, but I have to share this


It's not weight related at all, but I wanted to share. I believe I was touched by an angel the other day.

I went to my local hair salon to get my much-needed haircut on the 24th. I have a specific lady I use, so I was waiting for her to free up to do my hair. As I was waiting, a lady (who I feel I've seen before, strangely enough) entered with a young boy and an older young man (maybe 18-20 years old). I figured the younger one was her son, but wasn't so sure about the older young man because she either wasn't old enough to be his mom, or she looked dang good.

Anyway, after a few minutes I could tell the older boy had some sort of impairment -- not super noticeable, but he sounded younger than his age. The younger boy also seemed to be impaired as well because he didn't really interact with people... but he had THE most gorgeous wide-set, HUGE light brown eyes brimmed by these dark, lush lashes! I was mesmerized. A couple times he would seem to look at me, but I could tell he wasn't really taking me in. I waved and said hi. His mom said he can't talk, and I immediately thought maybe it was autism.

Anyway, she was waiting in line to leave his name for a haircut, and in the meantime he (I found out his name was Conner) came over to the chair next to mine and knelt into it to look out the window we were in front of. I talked to him a bit, saying I like to people-watch too, it's really interesting, isn't it? Stuff like that. His mom said it's the wheels of the vehicles going by that gets his attention. After a minute or so, he's just gazing out the window and takes the back of his knuckles and gently rubs my cheek. I just leaned into his stroke and enjoyed him enjoying me. Then he looked right at me and gently grabbed my chin and looked deep into my eyes. It was so sweet, I can't even explain to you.

His mom didn't see this but asked if he was bothering me. I said absolutely not, and then proceeded to tell her how he had stroked my face. she seemed genuinely surprised and said, "Wow, he doesn't do that to just anybody! You must be an angel!" Wow!

Later, after his hair was done and I was in the seat getting mine cut, I asked if Conner could come over to show me is new cut. I told him how handsome he was and wished him a Merry Christmas. I also asked if he had autism or Asberger's (sadly I don't know the difference but know they can be very similarly related), and she said Conner has autism, while the older boy has Asberger's. I truly wanted to understand, and I told her that God gives special children to special people.

The mother was just overwhelmed, and I didn't understand. She said, "You just don't know how people can be. Most people don't accept him." I was floored. How could anybody treat somebody like him like anything less than an angel? But sadly I guess it does happen. She hugged me and said thank you, your kind words mean so much. Not as much as her son's stroke on my face. I was touched by an angel.

3 comments:

  1. what an amazing gift you were given this Christmas!

    but i also think you gave as well. i agree, some people are so intolerant and dont have the patience. it's so nice to hear that you took the time with Connor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be hard to explain to people who don't deal with weight issues, I guess. I don't think they would understand. Being obese, people don't see you. They look through you, past you, around you... but they don't usually see you. You are something to be shamed and ashamed of, it seems. I watch it all the time when I go out with my thin, cute friend. I'm not even there.

    However to know that this young man doesn't reach out to just anybody and did so with me made me feel more special than if Brad Pitt himself noticed me. It was just so touching. His mom said I was beautiful, and for once in a very long time, I really felt it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a sweet story. I could almost feel Connor's hand touching my own cheek when I read your description. It's wonderful that he was a blessing to you and that you could be a blessing to his mother.

    Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete